Know about these facts of pineapple that will literally blow your mind. Pineapple is a delicious edible fruit that we all love to eat. You must have tasted either ripe pineapple or juice, jelly, jam squash, chutney, or candy made from pineapple in your lifetime.
But do you know this is possible because farmers around the world are able to produce 26,289,762 tonnes of pineapple fruit annually!
So let’s begin with such amazing facts about pineapples.
Facts Of Pineapple
- Researchers believe that pineapple originated in region between South Brazil and Paraguay, i.e. around South America.
- Total around 900 thousands hectare of land worldwide is used for cultivation of pineapple.
- Costa Rica is the largest producer of pineapple in the world, it produces around 2,930,661 tonnes of pineapple every year. It is nearly 1/3rd of total pineapple production in the world.
- There are more than 37 varieties of cultivated pineapple in the world, each variety has its own unique taste.
- The tastiest pineapple variety in the world is Abacaxi pineapple, but their flesh is white transparent in colour.
- When you eat a pineapple, you do not actually eat only a single fruit but you eat 200 flowers fused together to form a multiple fruit.
- Before Christopher Columbus went to South America in 1493, pineapples were only found in South America.
- Pineapple is the third most important tropical fruit in the world.
- In the year 2018, the total export market value of fresh pineapple was USD 2.1 Billion.
- A pineapple plant can take about one to two year to produce first fruit, and during a season a plant produces only a single multiple fruit.
Pineapple Nutrition Facts
- From one cup of fresh pineapple you can get 22 grams carbohydrates, 2.3 grams fibres, 0.89 grams protein and 0.20 grams fat.
- Pineapples are rich in antioxidants, they contain flavonoids and phenolic acids.
- Digestive Enzymes bromelain present in pineapple helps in digestion of food.
- Digestive Enzymes bromelain present in pineapple also helps to prevent growth of cancer cells in the body.
- One cup of fresh pineapple contains around 85 calories.