The invention of “Karo corn syrup” skyrocketed the popularity of pecan pie. This recipe was first widely promoted by the Karo Syrup company in the early 20th century. A dark variety of delicious corn syrup became a key ingredient in pecan pie filling, and it also replaced traditional sweeteners like maple syrup or molasses.
When Karo corn syrup was used, it created a smoother, gooey & sweet filling that helped popularize pecan pie across the United States of America.
What Is Pecan Pie?
Pecan pie is a delicious dessert that consists of a sweet & sticky filling and is made primarily from ingredients like pecan nuts, sugar, vanilla extract, corn syrup, eggs & butter. This mixture is poured into a pie crust and baked until the filling sets which forms a rich and delicious pie.
It has become a popular dessert in the United States because of the unique flavour and texture and people love to gift them during a special occasion.
It is believed that pecan pie originated in Southern America while pecans are cultivated in Northern America. The earliest known recipes for pecan pie appeared in cookbooks in the late 1890s. In the older recipes, sweeteners like molasses or dark sugar-based syrup were used, but now they are replaced by Karo corn syrup that got popularity in the 20th century.
You will also love reading them,
READ MORE: How Cocoa Is Cultivated To Make Chocolates!
READ MORE: The Oldest Crop Adopted For Agriculture Was?
Pecan Pie Recipe
Here I am sharing recipe of pecan pie with you that you can use to make one in your home.
For the Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 2-4 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup (light or dark, as per your preference)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- Prepare the Pie Crust:
- In a mixing bowl, mix the flour and salt properly.
- Add the cold, diced butter and use a pastry cutter or fork to cut it into the flour until the mixture seems like coarse crumbs.
- Keep adding ice water slowly, one tablespoon at once, and mix until the dough comes together. Make sure to avoid overmixing.
- Shape the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap & refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Roll Out the Crust:
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the chilled pie dough into a 12-inch circle.
- Line the Pie Pan:
- Place the rolled-out dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Trim any excess dough that hangs over the edge and shorten the edges as desired.
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a mixing bowl, take sugar, corn syrup, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt to mix them until well combined.
- Add the Pecans:
- Scatter the pecan halves evenly over the pie crust.
- Pour the Filling:
- Carefully pour the sugar and corn syrup mixture over the pecans.
- Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for about 50-60 minutes. You can cover the edges of the crust with aluminum foil if they start to brown too quickly.
- Allow the pecan pie to cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
- Slice and serve your delicious homemade pecan pie! It is completely optional to serve it with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. But as I loved it so I have shared with you.
Enjoy your homemade pecan pie! If you haven’t tasted pecan pie, then you must try one using this recipe, and if it makes you fall in love with the pie, then please comment your experience in the comment box.