Read these amazing 20 facts about strawberry that will literally blow your mind. Strawberries are temperate perennial plant from रोज़ेसी family and are famous for delicious taste and flavour. Nearly every citizen in the United States love eating yummy strawberries.
But do you know they are also the first fruit to ripen each spring.
Oh wait! Read the previous line again.
What! Are they fruits or berries?, Botanically strawberry is not a berry at all, but it is also not a true fruit. Actually strawberries are pseudocarp or false fruit. According to botanists, it is a multiple fruit that have numerous tiny fruits in its flesh.
So next time if someone tells you that strawberry is a berry then correct them by telling about this amazing fact. But wait, there are more such interesting strawberry facts that I am going to share with you in this article.
So hold your breath and read till the end to dive in the world of strawberries.
15 Facts About Strawberry
- Strawberries are from रोज़ेसी family, i.e. they are closer to rose. And as strawberries are closer to rose, they also have sweet fragrance similar to rose. You can literally experience this by smelling strawberries while they are still growing on bushes.
- Each multiple fruit of strawberry contains about 200 seeds that have potential to grow into a new plant.
- Despite knowing the fact that strawberry can be propagated from seeds, growers select runners to propagate strawberries. This is because if they will grow strawberry from seeds then it will take at least one year to start producing fruits.
- चीन is the largest producer of strawberry in the world. It produced around 3,041,560 Metric tonnes of strawberry in the year 2019.
- China and United States of America produces around 57% of the total strawberry production in the world.
- Researchers believe that cultivated strawberry originated in Europe in the 18th Century.
- Native Americans were among the first persons on Earth to taste strawberries.
- There are around 103 distinct species of strawberry plant.
- According to a survey conducted by USDA, on an average Americans eat 1.5 Kilograms of strawberries every year.
- Strawberry is a perennial plant that can live up to about 5 to 6 years.
- Rinsing cut strawberries with water speeds up spoilage, hence you need to consume them as soon as possible after rinsing.
- There is a museum in Belgium dedicated only to strawberry and is named “Musée de la Fraise.”
- Weather, variety, and ripeness when harvested can influence the flavour of strawberry.
- Recently farmers have started cultivated strawberries in Bihar, India. However according to scientists Bihar is not fit for cultivation of strawberry. But the farmers have shocked them with results.
- You can use strawberries to make various edible products such as jam, jelly, ice-cream, milkshake, juice, cake, and many more.
Strawberry Facts (Nutrition)
- You can get 33 Calories from 100 grams of strawberry.
- There are 7.7 grams carbohydrates, 4.9 grams sugar, 2 grams fibre, 0.7 grams protein, and 0.3 grams fat in 100 grams of strawberry.
- Strawberries are also an excellent source of Vitamin-C that can help in maintaining skin health and immunity.
- Consuming strawberries help in maintaining heart health, regulating blood sugar, and prevention of cancer.