From this ultimate guide on how to grow & care for snapdragon flowering plant, get to know climate, soil, potting mix, propagation, etc. Snapdragon is also popular as antirrhinum, dog flower, and dragon flower is native to Europe, United States, Canada & North Africa.
Due to resemblance of flower shape to the face of dragon, it is called snapdragon. It is a short lived perennial plant that you can grow in your garden by following these important points.
Snapdragon Plant Care Guide
Follow these guidelines to care for your snapdragon plant.
- मौसम: In cool temperate climate they grow as perennial, but in hot trapical climate they grow as annuals from November to May.
- USDA Zones: Snapdragons can grow well in USDA Hardiness Zones 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, & 11.
- Temperature: Ideal temperature range is 17 to 25o Celsius, they do not like extreme cold or hot.
- Soil: Well drained soil rich in organic matter with pH in the range of 5.5 to 6.5 is good.
- Potting Mix: Prepare potting mix with 50% garden soil + 40% dung manure + one handful neem cake fertilizer + one tablespoon bone-meal.
- Sunlight: 6 to 8 hours of bright direct to indirect sunlight daily.
- Watering: Avoid waterlogging, only water when top layer of soil seems dry.
- Fertilizers: Once plant start blooming, apply one handful of leaf compost or dung manure along with onion or banana peel fertilizer & 1 tea-spoon bonemeal.
- Pinching & Deadheading: Pinch off stem tips of young plants to make them bushy and remove spent flowers to prolong blooming period.
- Snapdragon Bloom Time: In temperate climate they bloom from spring till the end of summers. But in hot tropical climate they bloom from mid winters till onset of summer season.
इन्हें पढ़ना आपको भी अच्छा लगेगा:
और पढ़ें: How To Grow & Care For Petunia
और पढ़ें: Use Onion Peel Fertilizer To Enhance Flowering
Propagation Of Snapdragon Plant
You can propagate snapdragon plant either from cuttings or from seeds. Let’s learn about them one by one.
How To Grow Snapdragon From seeds: Keep snapdragons seeds in freezer for two days before sowing of seeds in the garden. Fill the pot with potting mix & leaves 1 to 2 inches space at the top. Apply water in the pot before sowing to provide adequate moisture. Now broadcast seeds and keep the pot under bright sunlight.
Do not cover the seeds with soil as they need sunlight to germinate. Keep adding water whenever top layer of soil dries. Within 10 days seeds will start germinating in the pot.
How To Propagate Snapdragon From Cuttings: Select a healthy stem and cut 2 inches below the leaf node, remove all leaves except two to three leaves at the top. Dip the bottom end in rooting hormone for 30 seconds and plant in pot filled with potting mix made by 50% garden soil + 50% river sand.
Add little water, and keep maintaining adequate moisture. You can also cover the pot with transparent polythene bag. Keep the pot under bright indirect sunlight. Roots will start growing in few days.
FAQ’s On Snapdragon Plant
Yes, snapdragons are short lived perennials that are grown as annuals or biennials in sub-tropical climate.
You can start planting snapdragons 6 weeks before the first frost date or during November in sub-tropical climate.
You can plant snapdragon under bright direct sunlight in temperate to tropicl regions.