Get to know these surprising facts on apple by reading this article. Apple is a temperate region fruit crop that loves cool climate to grow. Moreover apple farming is one of the profitable and long term investment in agribusiness.
But do you know that cultivating apple is not so easy. It requires precise knowledge, skilled labour, and experience.
You must have consumed apple or any related products in your lifetime. But do you know that “a newly planted apple orchard nearly takes around 8 years to produce fruits.”
So next time you eat a delicious apple, do not forget to thank a farmer for his hard-work and dedication. Well, we are here to read about surprising facts on apple, so let’s start.
15 Facts On Apple
- On an average a farmer can harvest 20,000 to 30,000 apple in one acre of apple orchard.
- Apple is also the fourth among most widely produced fruits after banana, orange, and grapes in the world.
- Researchers believe that apple originated in Middle East around 4000 years ago.
- In the year 2020, the total production of apple in the world was 63.6 Million tonnes.
- China is the largest producer of apple in the world. It produces around 42,426,578 tonnes of apple every year.
- 1,000 to 1,500 Chilling hours is necessary during winters to cultivate apple.
- There are about 7,500 varieties of apple in the world. Out of these, 2,500 varieties are cultivated in United States of America.
- A newly planted apple orchard takes 8 years to give commercial yield. However once fruiting starts then it continues till 30 years.
- On an average an apple tree can live up to 60 to 80 years, if cared well.
- Chisato Iwasaki at his apple farm in Japan grew the world’s heaviest apple. It weighed around 1.8 Kilograms.
- Sekai Ichi Apples are the world’s most expensive apples in the world. The cost of a single apple is $21.
- The world longest apple tree in the world is in “Notre Dame de La cour” a village in France. The height of this apple tree is 11 metres.
- The world oldest apple tree is in Russischen Kolonie, Potsdam (Germany). The age of this apple tree is estimated to be around 189 years.
- Have you noticed that apple float in water. But do you know this is possible because nearly 25% of the volume of apple is air.
- Falling apple from the tree helped great scientist Isaac Newton to discover gravity.