Green island ficus is also known as Ficus microcarpa. This plant is native from South China and Oceania Island. This is a type of plant that does not need any complicated maintenance. It is a slow grower so no need to worry about constant pruning. It can survive on very little water. This garden beauty with its round shiny green leaves is a low maintenance plant that can save your time and work in the garden. This plant can be kept both in indoor as well as outdoor garden. But generally, it is grown as an indoor plant which adds beauty and value to your indoor house space.
Mr. Sital Sarkar has shared some easy tips to care and grow Green island Ficus in the home garden:-
1. You can purchase seedlings from any nursery or propagate through cutting.
2. If you want to propagate it from cutting then take 3 to 5 inches long shoot tips in spring.
3. Use rooting medium like IBA (Indole butyric acid) powder to induce roots in cutting. If you have no rooting medium there is no problem. The rooting medium increases the success rate to develop roots in cuttings.
4. Use 5 to 6 inches diameter garden container to develop seedlings.
5. Use potting mix like 70% loamy soil+ 20% sand+ 10% coco peat in any desirable container with proper drainage holes.
6. Pour Potting mix into the garden container and water high before transplant cuttings.
7. Now wash shoot cuttings in low concentrate broad-spectrum fungicide. If you have no fungicide just wash it thoroughly in freshwater.
8. Keep in mind that cuttings are done just 3mm below the node where roots will be developed.
9. Now dip cuttings in rooting powder and transplant it into the potting medium by making a hole with pencil tips.
10. You can plot 3 to 4 cuttings in the container to develop seedlings
11. Do not cover it with transplant polythene just placed your container under the semi-shade area.
12. The cuttings will start rooting in 3 to 4 weeks.
13. Water medium till seedlings are developed properly.
14. When seedlings are well developed you should separate the new seedlings and transfer each seedling into 4-inch diameter garden containers.
15. Green Island requires very little watering. Overwatering can damage your plants. Next watering done when topsoil seems completely dry.
16. Feeding of plants is no required. Just change pot soil.
17. The size of the plant can be controlled by pruning.
|Ficus microcarpa in pot|
18. Anthracnose disease is found on Green Island ficus. To manage rake, remove and destroy all fallen leaves, prune all dead or infected branches. Use broad-spectrum fungicide as spray.
19. Change pot as per the growth of plants.
20. Several insect pest attacks during summer. In such cases use 5% Neem oil and spray on plants every 15 days.
Caution: Do not keep this plant in the room having air conditioners or room heaters.
Importance of Green Island Ficus
1. It is an excellent container plant and can even be shaped in bonsai.
2. It is suitable for an indoor plant.
3. The root bark and leaf latex are used medicinally to treat wounds, headaches, and liver trouble.
4. The latex is used for caulking boats and waterproofing.
AGRICULTURE REVIEW hopes that you have been elated from this article, share this article with everyone to show your support and love for gardening.
The information in this article has been shared by Mr. Sital Sarkar. Read all his articles on home gardening.