From this ultimate guide on amazing facts about avocado and its nutrition get to know surprising and fun facts about this nutritious fruit.
Facts About Avocado
- Avocado is not actually a fruit but it is a “berry” according to botany.
- A single avocado fruit requires around 70 litres of water to grow! That’s so much of water for a single fruit.
- Around 5000 years ago, Mesoamerican tribes started domesticating avocado.
- Mexico is the largest producer of Avocado in the world. It produces around 30% or world’s total avocado.
- Dwarf avocado trees grow up to 10 feet high while tallest avocado trees can grow up to 80 feet tall.
- Avocado is an aztec word which means “testicles.” Avocado got its name due to pear shaped of its fruit which resembles male testicles.
- If you plant a avocado tree today, then your grandchildren can also enjoy its benefits as avocado tree can live up to 200 to 400 years.
- Before 1915 in California and Florida, avocado was known as “ahuacate ” & “alligator pear.”
- A study shows that wild relatives of avocado could go extinct due to climate change.
- In the world there are around 500 varieties of avocado categorized into 3 groups namely Mexican, Guatemalan, and Indian.
- Hass Avocado is the most famous and widely grown grown avocado among all other varieites.
RELATED POST: Mindblowing Facts About Mango!
Avocado Nutrition & Health Facts
- From a single avocado fruit you can get 240 calories.
- Avocadoes are rich source of carbohydrates, monounsaturated fats, fibres, folate, potassium, magnesium, carotenoids, Vitamin B, C, E & K.
- In a single avocado fruit you will find 22 grams of fats out of which 15 grams are monounsaturated, 4 grams are polyunsaturated & 3 grams are saturated.
- Vitamin B6, C, and E present in avocado help in improving immunity of the body.
- Fibre present in avodaco are helpful in improving gut health and healthy fats, vitamins, & minerals are beneficial for cardiovascular health.