Corona de Cristo called Euphorbia milii as
- Christ plant,
- Christ thorns,
- and Crown of Thorns in Latin America
If you are looking for a plant that thrives in the conditions inside most homes; try the Crown of Thorns plant, place the plant in a very sunny window where it will receive three to four hours of direct sunlight each day.
Crown of Thorns is a great as an outdoor shrub in warm climates, as it is extremely tolerant of high temperatures. It even thrives in temperature above 35 degrees centigrade. You can add this flowering succulent to your garden without worrying much about maintenance.
Tips to grow Crown of Thorns
1. At first you should purchase seedlings from any nursery.
2. If you want to propagate, and then take near about 3 to 6 inches long shoot tip cuttings in spring. Use a clean sharp blade or cutter to do this.
3. Now immense the end in cold water to stop the milky sap from flowing.
4. Lay the cuttings out on a newspaper or towel paper to dry for 3 to 4 days before planting.
5. Dip the stem cutting in a rooting solution that contains a fungicide before planting.
6. To develop seedling just plant them in potting medium. Container size 4 to 6-inch diameter is better to develop seedling.
7. Use potting mix like 60% soil + 20% coco peat + 20% sand or any well-drained potting medium.
8. Water lightly so the soil is moist but not completely submerged in water.
9. It should not be allowed to dry too much either since they would not able to develop root without some moisture.
10. Now place the containers in a warm location around 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
11. The cutting will start rooting in 2 to 3 weeks.
12. It takes 12 to 35 weeks for the roots to establish themselves depending upon the size of the plant and the pot they are in. Smaller cuttings take less time.
13. Now place Crown of Thorns in full sun or partial shade in your home garden. It will do well in both conditions.
14. If the Crown of Thorns is being planted outside, choose a location that does not flood and has a good drainage system.
15. In case that there is not a location with good drainage or full sunlight, build a raised bed specifically for this type of plant. It should be a minimum of 2 to 3 feet high and be filled with crushed rocks or sandy soil.
16. Leaving standing water and overwatering can lead to leaf drop and root rot.
17. Ensure that there is good drainage so the water does not accumulate and cause problems.
18. Overwatering can damage your plants. Next watering is done when the topsoil surface is completely dry.
19. After transplant just feed ½ teaspoon bone meal twice in a month. It promotes vegetative growth. just spread bone meal on the potting mix, does not mix with soil. Fertilizer leaches out slowly when watering is done.
20. Avoid fertilizer in the rainy and winter season. It may infect your plant by root or stem rot.
21. Since this is a slow-growing plant, it may be that you do not need to really prune until the 3rd and 4th years.
22. If you want to trim the plant to maintain its size, do it after the flowering cycle is completed.
23. Always remove any dead or dying leaves and flowers to prevent the growth of fungus.
24. If any part of the plant turns brown, it should be removed immediately.
25. Change pot as per the growth of plant and plant size.
26. Every year 2 to 4 inches topsoil should be replaced with new fresh soil. it should be done before spring.
27. Some time infections occur during the rainy and winter season. In these seasons it can be at risk of root and stem rot caused by fungal infection. In such cases spray any broad-spectrum fungicide.
|CROWN OF THORNS PLANT|
IMPORTANCE OF CROWN OF THORNS
1. Euphorbia milii is used mostly for ornamental and some medicinal uses.
2. It is used for breathing disorders including asthma, bronchitis, and chest congestion.
3. It is also used for mucus in the nose and throat, throat spasms, hey fever, and tumors.
4. Some people use it to cause vomiting.
5. In India, it is also used for treating worms, severe diarrhea, gonorrhea, and digestive problem.
We have launched our channel, you can visit and subscribe to our channel for further updates.